Thursday, January 24, 2013

Guest blogger on Chronic Migraines

Danielle is a 29 year old who lives in Oklahoma. She suffers from chronic migraines.

Her daily life is effected by the fact that she has some sort of headache every single day. She takes medications to keep them tolerable, but She does not remember a life without pain. She has missed more days of work than She cares to count up because of migraine pain.

When asked if she had doctors that treated her fairly she said, "I have had more than my fair share of doctors who don’t listen and doctors who seem to not care. But I have fought and finally found doctors who believe me and believe that there will be a way for me to live pain free."

When asked what meds she takes that have been helpful, or unconventional treatments, she replied, "I take 800 mg of Neurontin three times a day to help “prevent” the migraines. Most of the time this just brings it to a more tolerable level. I also take 400 mg of Vitamin B2 per day and 1000 mg of Magnesium per day. These have been proven to help reduce migraines. I have a prescription for Fioricet, but I rarely take it because I don’t find that it helps at all. I generally take Excedrin migraine on a daily basis. I have tried chiropractors and acupuncture to no avail."

Hobbies or activities she is still able to do include: I am able to work the majority of the time. I am still able to play with my children, and enjoy weekends with my husband. The thing I miss out on the most is the general happiness that comes from being pain free. My almost 4 year old daughter has come to know me as being in bed. I want to change that. She already knows when I’m not feeling well and tells me “Mommy, you need to go to bed."

Any advice to our readers? If your doctor isn’t listening to you, find someone else. There is no reason to live your life in pain and feel like no one is listening to you or taking you seriously. There are TONS of doctors out there, you just have to find the right one.

Also she'd like to add, If you are a family member/friend of someone who lives in chronic pain, please take them seriously. Please don’t downplay their situation or make them feel bad about it. Trust me, they already feel bad enough. I have spent many days in bed feeling terrible because my kids are growing up without me. I sincerely wish I could feel better. I pray about it, I take my meds, I go to the doctor. Give support. Don’t think just because they look ok, that they actually are ok. When you live in chronic pain you learn how to put on your happy face and go about your day because that’s what you have to do.

Guest blogger: Danielle Brigance
Authored by: Amanda Lakso